The Foundry (Long Island City, NY): The Foundry is a 19th Century building that has been meticulously restored. As a result, the interior boasts 3,000+ square feet of raw space. Also, there is a lush outdoor courtyard. Furthermore, there is a rooftop terrace with views of the Manhattan skyline. Additionally, they have an indoor greenhouse and a fully equipped industrial kitchen. Although The Foundry is magnificent on its own, you can enhance a wedding and special events there with additional lighting.
Why is Lighting Important for wedding at The Foundry?:
Lighting makes up one-half of the most essential elements of décor at The Foundry. Nevertheless, your wedding florals will complete the other half. Therefore, a perfect balance of lighting and florals are the key ingredients needed for a visually stunning event in this space.
The Main Room
Lighting for a wedding in The Main Rom at The Foundry:
String Lights in Zigzagging Pattern
- Zigzagging String Lights is a timeless lighting pattern. Therefore, you should consider hanging a simple arrangement of 150ft of our String Lights across the balcony in The Main Room.
- Furthermore, you can consider hanging an arrangement of 300ft of our String Lights with S14 bulbs across the balcony in The Main Room.
- In addition, you can consider hanging 300ft of our String Lights with G50 bulbs across the balcony in The Main Room.
- Nevertheless, an arrangement of hanging string lights is visually appealing and supplies “more bang for fewer bucks.”
Additional Overhead Lighting Options
- A Canopy of String Lights with round G50 bulbs provide a dense collection of parallel lines overhead. Typically there are just a few inches between each parallel line. As a result a blanket of light is created overhead.
- Fairy Lights / Icicle Lights provide a dense collection of lights. Each strand of light hangs down at various heights and are closely spaced. As a result a three-dimensional pattern of hanging lights is created overhead.
- A Canopy of Twinkle Lights (Mini-LED String Lights) is similar a canopy created with G50 bulbs. A look similar to a starry night is created because Twinkle Lights are used.
- Pendant Lamps with antique Edison bulbs. Each Pendant Lamps hangs as an individual cord. Therefore a single Antique Edison bulb will hang at the base of each cord.
Up-Lighting Against Walls
- Our company is a huge fan of up-lighting placed against walls, and this venue is no exception. Therefore, we strongly support using Warm White Up-Lights at The Foundry. As a result, Up-lights greatly enhance the space by providing an accent light against the walls. Therefore, consider placing Warm White Up-Lights along the perimeter walls of both the ground floor and mezzanine level. Furthermore, Up-lights can go inside or outside the alcoves on the ground floor.
Large Floral Arrangements (First Alcove)
- Highlight a sizeable floral arrangement placed in the first alcove (between the stairway and the entrance door) with a spotlight. The in-house pin-spot suspended directly overhead in the first alcove is perfect for most medium and smaller floral arrangements. Consider including a spotlight provided by our company if you place a large-scale floral arrangement in this alcove.
Large Floral Arrangements (Rear Double Doors)
- Highlight a Large floral arrangement placed at the rear double doors that access the courtyard with a spotlight. Consider including a spotlight provided by our company to keep large florals arrangements visible after the sun has gone down.
- Seeing the members of a band is a crucial part of their performance. Therefore, consider providing a spotlight to highlight their performance area. Therefore, members of your band will remain seen after sunset. Additionally, their movements and facial expressions are visible. As a result, your wedding at The Foundry will benefit significantly from additional lighting for your band.
- Furthermore, you can also consider using a set of color-changing lights to highlight your band members. Usually, dimmable warm-white lights are appropriate. As an alternative, you can consider color-changing lights for your band as an upgrade from warm-white lights. However, a person must operate a controller to change the colors during the band’s performance.
- The main bar at The Foundry is a celebrity in popularity. As a result, the main bar usually becomes a gathering place where guests exchange conversations and laughs while waiting to receive their drinks. For this reason, you can consider highlighting the main bar with a set of spotlights.
- Help make your ceremony area stand out with a pair of spotlights. Spotlighting your ceremony is especially important during the fall and winter due to an early sunset.
Pinspot your cake table
- A pin-spot for your cake table in the main room is great way to highlight your wedding cake after dark.
Gobo/ Monogram projected on the wall or floor
- A custom gobo/monogram can add a custom touch to your weeding. Therefore you can consider projecting a gobo/monogram on the ground floor.
- Furthermore, you can also consider projecting a gobo/monogram on the brick wall above the double courtyard doors.
- Likewise, you can consider projecting stock gobo/textured wash in exchange for a custom gobo/monogram.
Curtain of vertical String Lights
- A curtain of string lights can hang vertically against the rear double doors that access the courtyard. Vertical String Strings will obstruct the use of the double doors. You can carefully tie the vertical string lights back but there is a high risk of bulbs breaking.
Stage for a Band
- You can consider placing A stage to elevate a band. Therefore the band will have greater visibility inside The Main Room. Typically a stage is set at the rear double doors that access the courtyard or the front entrance. However, a stage will obstruct the front or rear door(s). Therefore your guests must use an alternative entry to access The Main Room.
- The central area of The Mezzanine Level between the bathrooms and the stairway does not have any in-house lights. Therefore, this area is often dark at night. As a result, you will require general lighting if you place a dinner table in this area after dark. Furthermore, a DJ or band will require additional lighting if you place them in this area.
Note: Don’t overlook the use of candles. Our company does not provide candles for decoration, but you can place an extensive arrangement of candles along the ledge on the mezzanine-level walls. Additional locations for using candles include along the ledge between the bathrooms and the entrance door on the ground floor. You can also place candles along the ledge in the stairway between the ground floor and the mezzanine level. Finally, you can also place candles around the pool of water at the stairway’s base.
Lighting for a Wedding in The Greenhouse at The Foundry:
Illuminated Ledge / Shelf
- Take advantage of the in-house illuminated ledge along the ivy-covered walls.
Spotlight for the Bar
- Don’t forget to spotlight your bar in The Green House. Your bar will become a gathering place for guests to exchange conversation and laughs as they wait to receive their drinks. It is a frequently visited location that is almost celebrity in popularity and demands illumination.
Spotlight for the Ceremony
- Consider spotlighting your ceremony area in The Green House. Highlighting your ceremony area will always make it stand out, especially with an earlier sunset during the fall and winter months.
No other Lighting required
- Any other forms of lighting if somewhat optional for The Green House.
Note: The majority of the greenhouse has an illuminated ledge / shelf hanging along the ivy-covered walls. As a result, the illuminated ledge / shelf create an effect similar to Up-Lights against the ivy-covered walls. Furthermore, the illuminated ledge / shelf will block the light any additional up-lights will create that are placed under the shelf. As a result, Up-lights is not effective in The Greenhouse..
The Albra Room
Lighting for a wedding in The Albra Room at The Foundry:
No other Lighting required
- The Albra Room includes inhouse overhead lighting. Additionally, it includes inhouse accent lights along the walls. In addition, The accent lights are near the base of each wall. Therefore they create an effect similar to Up-Lights. As a result, most additional lighting is often optional for The Albra Room.
- Nevertheless, you can consider Up-Lights for The Albra Room’s foyer if guest will enter The Foundry through its doorway.
Lighting for a wedding in The Courtyard at The Foundry:
String Lights in Zigzagging Pattern
- The Courtyard at The Foundry is often dark with out additional lighting at night. Therefore, String Lights suspended over the reception area of the courtyard are just about required for this outdoor space after dark. Furthermore. in addition to general lighting for the courtyard, String Lights offer a decorative charm that enhances the courtyard. As a result. the courtyard will have an appropriate amount of light for outdoor dinner. Additionally, it will help create an intimate atmosphere under the view of the Queensboro bridge.
Note: The Courtyard at The Foundry already many accent lights on their trees and building. Therefore, up-Lights are not required in The Courtyard. Anyhow, there are a few locations against the movable evergreen trees that you can consider using up-lights in the courtyard. Nevertheless, most of the permanent trees and structures in The Courtyard don’t require additional up-lighting.
Lighting for a wedding under a Tent at The Foundry:
String Lights or Chandeliers
- Both String lights and Chandeliers will provide a decorative source of light under your tent. Understandable, they are both a nicer alternative to the non-decorative lights typically supplied by the tent company. Therefore, it is best to considered suspending String lights or Chandeliers under your tent. Furthermore, you can consider suspending String Lights and Chandeliers together under your tent.
Pinspot your table centerpiece
- After dark, your table centerpieces may require additional lighting under your tent. Therefore, pin-spot lighting is often essential to highlight your table centerpieces after dark. Thus, you can consider focusing pin-spots on the centerpiece on each dinner table under your tent.
Note: Up-Lights are only visible when projected against a solid wall or ceiling. Therefore, Up-lights are not effective under a clear top tent or a tent with open walls. Furthermore, Up-Lights may present a trip hazard if guests are seated too close to them. In addition, Up-Lights may present a trip hazard if the tent has a narrow passage around the inside perimeter.